UK Bucket List.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

As my dissertation deadline begins to creep in (hi August - what?!) my free time is consequently dwindling down. June and July went by in a blink of an eye with whirlwind holidays and starting a new job! August, on the other hand, will be a month of moving (more on that later) on top of researching and writing like mad, avoiding last-minute freak outs the best I can.

Gone are the days of jumping on a train with an adventure plotted out, in are the days trading off work with the library. But hey, this doesn't mean that my mind isn't free to wander!

While I loved my romp around mainland Europe with my bestie and my bucket list of places around the world continues to grow at an alarming rate, lately I've been really itching for some more exploring in my own backyard. Some of my favourite adventures since embarking on this whole "expat" thing have been right here in the good 'ol UK! I've wandered through near-ancient ruins in Glastonbury, escaped to Lacock an embarrassing number of times, visited the town coined "the most charming village in England", breathed in the seaside air in Brighton as well as the Isle of Wight, and so much more.

That being said, there is still so much of the UK I've yet to see. I created a secret Pinterest board (follow me here!) nearly a year ago, with photos and links to place here in the UK that I've yet to go to but I'd love to visit. Here's a non-extensive list with a few of the most lust-worthy ones...

1. Durdle Door + Lulworth Cove, Dorset.
Located about two miles from each other on the Jurassic Coast near the village of West Lulworth are two of the dreamy seaside spots I've ever seen. With its low pollution and clear skies, Dorset is one of the best places in the country to stargaze, and in the sunshine you can enjoy the delights of the ocean with fellow visitors staying in nearby cottages. Who says England doesn't know beaches?
Photograph by Stephen Banks

2. Liverpool
Liverpool seems to be a place that speaks for itself. The birthplace of the Beatles and the much-loved Scouse accent, I can't believe I've still never visited this vibrant city! It also seems like a great hub to use to see other nearby places I've never been - Northern Wales (eyes on you, Snowdonia and Portmerion Village), Manchester, and so forth.
SOURCE
3. Yorkshire
Okay so this is a *slight* cop out because A) Yorkshire is blimmin' massive. B) I have actually been here before - I spent a night or two in York when I was 13 on our way from London to Edinburgh. But I really don't remember much other than drinking tea at Betty's, I swear! Yorkshire is so big it's actually divided into subregions. The area is booming with history, culture and practically its own language.
SOURCE
4. Chepstow Castle, Wales
This place seems like a must-do for a few reasons... A) It's a flippin' castle. Built in 1067. They just don't get old. B) You can WALK across the River Wye from Wales to England in a matter of minutes! How cool is that?! C) Across the river in England lies a teeny village called Tutshill, which happens to be the childhood home of JK Rowling. That just seals the deal, doesn't it?
SOURCE
5. Canterbury
I've really yet to venture to the "other" side of London. I live West, have visited South, and have gone way up North - but the East coast of England? Not so much. I've eyeballed photos of places in Norfolk and Suffolk but have yet to really narrow down any destinations, which leads me to heading a bit further down to Kent, namely the little city of Canterbury. Less than an hour's journey from Central London makes it popular with tourists and is one of the most-visited spots in the UK, which would usually make me raise an eyebrow - but everyone I know who has visited has fallen in love. With a cathedral, an historic abbey, and the remains of a castle, Canterbury seems to offer a bit of everything.
SOURCE

6. Isle of Skye, Scotland
Lord of the Rings called, it wants its landscape back. This isle is the largest and one of the most northern islands in Scotland. With a population density of 6 people per square km - compared to 4,000+ per square km in Bristol, this is a remote and mystical getaway. My day trip around the Scottish Highlands back in May was bursting with history and stunning scenery, and the Isle of Skype seems like an incredible place to spend some time with nature.
SOURCE
7. Cornwall
I'm a big fan of being by the sea, in case you haven't picked up on that from this list. What I fondly call "England's foot," Cornwall is one of the ultimate seaside spots in Britain. Famous for beaches that look like they should be on the Mediterranean, surfers, oysters, cream teas, Cornish pastys, white washed cobbled villages, and medieval castles on towering rocky islands, like St. Michaels Mount off the coast of Penzance. A drive from London to the tip of Cornwall, Land's End, will rack up at about 6 hours, depending on traffic, so taking an overnight sleeper train and then renting a car is a popular option. I'll have to do some serious plotting to figure out the easiest villages to reach from Bristol!
SOURCE
Welp, back to the library I go - apologies if I give blogging the radio silence treatment over the next few weeks, but dissertation crunch time is in full-swing! C'mon mid-September....

Do you have a bucket list of places to go that aren't too far from home? UK natives, any places you think I should add?

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

Disqus for http://whattheelleblog.blogspot.co.uk/

© What the Elle. Design by Fearne.